Responding After Hours to Water Damages to a Business
Responding to a disaster in the middle of the night. Faster to any size disaster.
In the middle of the night SERVPRO of Des Moines NW is ready to handle any size disaster.
This locally owned business in downtown Des Moines had water damages in the middle of the night. After we got the call we responded quickly and was able to have our emergency crew there within 2 hours.
SERVPRO of Des Moines NW is on call 24/7. The mitigation process in this situation involved the following:
- Obtaining a detailed assessment of the damages over the phone
- Emergency service team load up the trucks with the tools and advanced drying equipment
- Address and document the cause of loss. In this case, a pipe froze and burst causing water damages
- Set up a plumber to repair the plumbing
- Moved contents to a unaffected area
- Started extracting the water
- Applied antibacterial agent to all areas that had water damages
- Set up the advanced drying equipment according to IICRC standards
- Document and monitor daily until the property was brought back down to the dry standard
- Constant communication with the insurance company and property owner during the process from start to finish.
If your business suffers water damages in the middle of the night, contact SERVPRO of Des Moines NW anytime 24/7 at (515) 986-3711.
How many Fires start in a Year?
This shows a fire that started in the middle of a living room.
Between 2011 and 2015, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 358,500 home structure fires per year. These fires caused 12,300 civilian injuries, 2,510 civilian deaths, and $6.7 billion in direct damage. On average, seven people per day die in U.S. home fires.Where do most fires start in a home?Based on research from fires that occurred between 2009 and 2013, here are the most common places fires begin:
The top cause of fires is cooking. House fires happen most during dinner hours—between 5:00 and 8:00 p.m. That’s because people are cooking.
- 1: Kitchen. Half of all house fires start in the kitchen.
- 2: Bedroom. About 7% of all house fires start in the bedroom.
- 3: Chimney. 6%
- 4: Living Room. 4%
- 5: Laundry Room. 3%
- 6: Outside. 3%
- 7: Attic. 3%
If you have fire damages to your property call 24/7 the experts at SERVPRO of Des Moines NW at (515) 986-3711.
Is Your Business Ready for a Disaster?
1 out of 2 businesses that suffer a disaster never reopen.
Did you know that 50% of businesses never reopen after suffering a disaster
According to Forbes in 2017 the United States had at least $306 billion in damages due to natural disasters. Between hurricanes and massive flooding, destructive wildfires and heatwaves, cities were hit hard weather-related disasters and, unfortunately, experts only expect things to get worse.
If your a property owner or a property manager you have the overwhelming task with overseeing not only the people working, but the property also.
Here are the top 4 things you should have in your disaster emergency plan:
- Establish Safety Plans. Top priority should be safety for the employees in a business or tenants such as in a apartment setting.
- Communications. It is key whether it is thru a newsletter, email, or meeting.
- Obtain Insurance. Having insurance and understanding what it is and what isn't covered.
- Stay Compliant With Building Codes. This includes building design to materials being used.
If your a business owner or property manager and you experience a disaster, call the experts at SERVPRO of Des Moines NW at (515) 986-3711.
SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan
SERVPRO of Des Moines NW is "ready for whatever happens"
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Plan for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
Details of the plan are as follows:
- A no cost assessment of your facility.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
For more information on getting your Emergency Ready Plan started call SERVPRO of Des Moines NW at (515) 986-3711.
Is Your Business Ready for the Holiday Traffic
This shows the process of cleaning a front door mat at a auto body shop.
When someone walks into your business they want to see a clean, fresh smelling, and safe environment. No matter what type of business you run, you only get one chance at a good first impression.
First impressions have the ability to make or break a business, and a positive experience can create long-lasting business relationships. Making a good first impression is critical when it comes to meeting customers, pitching to potential clients, or during interviews.
Our team of trained professionals specialize in carpet cleaning and make it a personal priority to deliver the best results bringing your carpets back "Like it never even happened."
Call today to schedule your appointment for your business. There is still time to book before the holiday season is here!
SERVPRO of Des Moines NW also has the advanced equipment, certifications, and results to get the job done.
Call us today for your quote on cleaning at (515) 986-3711.
Water Damages in Polk County Hospital
This shows water damages in a hospital that was caused by a freezing pipe that burst.
When it comes to water damages in a business, getting it done fast and right is key. Our team works quickly to respond since studies show that the first 24-48 hours are critical when it comes to extracting any standing water. We work hard to be able to work quickly enough to save the property of the business like furniture, desks, computers, and X-Ray machines. SERVPRO of Des Moines NW is in the business of saving property. This is important to our customers and also the insurance company.
We take extra special care to protect items from damage while we do work, whether that is moving contents back and forth or wrapping with plastic for protection. Our content specialists do an amazing job cleaning on a wide variety of materials and types of damage.
The experts of SERVPRO of Des Moines NW can handle whatever disaster comes your way. Our team is ready to provide emergency services to your business 24 hours a day.
Safety tips for your Christmas Tree
This shows a Christmas Tree that caught on fire due to a candle.
According to National Fire Protection Association between Christmas trees and Christmas decorations in a 4 year window caused 23 million in direct property damage.
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and is a time where some family traditions are to get a tree and also decorate it for Christmas.
The lights that are decorated on the tree are not enough to ignite the tree. However, if you decorate the tree like Clark Griswold from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation you may want to re-think the way you install your lights.
Research shows the following:
- 43% of Christmas tree fires result in an overload of lighting that causes a spark and catches the tree on fire
- 27% include a heat source - such as a candle or the tree was located to close to a fireplace
- 22% of Christmas tree fires were intentional
- 8% of Christmas tree fires were undetermined
If you insist on having a real tree. Remember the following:
- Add water to the tree stand.
- Be sure to add water daily and check for brown needles.
- Place the tree away from any heat source, like fireplaces, candles, radiators, heat vents, or space heaters
With the advanced technology of LED lights and fire retardant artificial trees there has been mass improvements in safety.
If you have fire/smoke damages to your home or business you can call 24/7 SERVPRO of Des Moines NW at (515) 986-3711.
The crew at SERVPRO of Des Moines NW wish you and your family a safe Thanksgiving Holiday.
Clean Homes and Businesses Sell Faster
This shows the before and after pictures of cleaning the duct & HVAC system.
Get it Clean - Get it Sold
It is a fact: a clean, fresh smelling home sells faster. Unfortunately, not all homes are maintained in the same way. Nearly all realtors are faced, at some point, with a difficult listing to show.
More seasoned realtors encourage clients to keep their homes in top condition for the very important reasons:
- Increased market value
- Reduced list to sale conversion times
- Enhanced reputation for quality listings and quick sales
SERVPRO of Des Moines NW offer a variety of services to help your listings to top show condition:
- Carpet, upholstery, drapery and blind cleaning
- Ceiling, wall and hard floor cleaning
- Mold mitigation and remediation
Having a pet can cause dirty ducts and circulate odors and contaminants throughout a home. SERVPRO of Des Moines NW uses a air duct cleaning system and can make a clean sweep, removing years of dust, dander, and grime.
Duct & HVAC system cleaning can:
- Reduce allergens and pet dander build up
- Eliminate offensive odors
- Improve operating conditions and efficiency
We are here to assist you in getting your property sold faster. Call the experts 24/7 of SERVPRO of Des Moines NW at (515) 986-3711 for all your cleaning needs.
Specialized Training and Experience for Biohazard Cleanup Services
SERVPRO of Des Moines NW offers fast, reliable biohazard and crime scene cleanup and restoration services for residential and commercial property owners.
Common biohazard losses include the following:
- Sewage Backups
- Blood cleanup
- Hoarding scenes
- Methamphetamine Labs
- Animal waste/remains
- Chemical spills
If not safely remove, hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
SERVPRO of Des Moines NW professionals are trained to safely and effectively remove biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and state and local health regulations. Equipped with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, we help turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and businesses.
We are available 24 hours a day. We have the qualified trained professionals who are ready to respond to these incidents.
If you or your business or residence is in need of a biohazard cleanup, give SERVPRO of Des Moines NW a call at (515) 986-3711.
Hail Damages to your Home or Business
Close up photo that shows damages caused by a recent hail storm.
According to the National Weather Service (NWS), hailstones fall to earth from 30,000 feet, reaching up to 120 mph before they hit trees, vehicles and structures. These storms cause $1 billion in damages to crops and property each year, the NWS says.
How large can hail get? Thankfully...most hail is small - usually less than 2 inches in diameter.
The largest hailstone (nearly the size of a volleyball!) fell on July 23, 2010 in Vivian, South Dakota and had a diameter of 8.0 inches, a circumference of 18.62 inches, and weighed just under 2 lbs (1 lb and 15 ounces). This was after the resident that found the hailstone put it in the freezer but had a 6 hour power outage and some melting likely occurred.
Take Action After a Hail Storm
If you do find any hail damage to your residence, we recommend you take pictures before you make any temporary repairs such as boarding up any broken windows or covering a hole in a roof with a tarp.
Regardless of the level of damage, you’ll also want to promptly report it to your insurance company. Should your home or business sustain hail damage keep these tips in mind:
- Be wary of contractors who solicit door-to-door.
- Work only with licensed (if applicable), bonded and insured contractors and have them provide documentation.
- Require references and check them out.
- Don’t feel pressured into signing a contract and never sign a blank contract.
- Avoid payment-in-full up front.
If your business or home has hail damages, call the trusted experts of SERVPRO of Des Moines NW 24/7 at (515) 986-3711.