Basement floods after storm
When you wake up to or come home to water rushing in your basement or standing water in your basement, your first instinct is to panic. And figure out the quickest most effective way to remove the water and stop mold spores from spreading and growing. Call us at SERVPRO of Des Moines NW.
What to do when there is standing water in your basement.
- Find out where the water is coming from.
- If its from a broken pipe or faulty foundation it will need to get fixed.
- Make sure there is no live electrical items in the water. If so shut the electricity off to the basement until you can get all of your belongings out of the water.
- Remove your belongings and decide what's savable and what's not. Start drying out the savable items.
- Pump out the water with a submersible water pump.
- Clean the walls and floor with anti-mold chemicals to kill any existing mold spores and prevent mold from spreading.
- Set up a dehumidifier and a few fans to dry your basement out.