WATER DAMAGE HAPPENS
The national average cost to remediate and restore a basement that has suffered water damage is $2,700. That doesn’t even begin to account for the cost of water damage to a roof or other parts of your home. Before we dive into the best way to protect your home from water damage, we need to know what causes water damage and how you can detect it. Knowing what to look for and when to expect damage gives you a heads up in the fight to keep your home safe.
Here’s a list of the most common causes of water damage:
- Extreme weather events, including floods
- Pipes that have burst or are leaking
- Malfunctioning appliances, such as dishwashers or washing machines
- Groundwater seepage through cracks in your foundation or walls
- Roof damage, such as missing shingles or cracked flashing
Signs of Water Damage
- Peeling paint
- Warping floors
- Ceilings and walls that show discoloration or sagging
- A strong, musty smell or mold
- Water pooling in your yard, particularly after a rain event.
We’ll let you in on the secret. The absolute best way to protect your home from water damage is to properly maintain your home. We’ll let you in on the secret. The absolute best way to protect your home from water damage is to properly maintain your home.
Inspect Your Roof
Clean Your Gutters
Caulk and Seal Windows
Check Your Pipes for Cracks or Corrosion
Don’t Forget to Check the Basement
Accept that Water Damage Happens
The best way to protect your home from water damage is proper maintenance, but even this can’t always prevent water damage. No amount of preparedness can stop a flood.
When water damage does happen, call the water damage experts to clean it up right and restore your home to its original condition. SERVPRO OF DES MOINES NW will be there for you.