Holiday Season Fire Safety Tips - Prevent Your Christmas Tree From Catching Fire
Holiday season is upon us and as the temperatures drop, the fireplaces and furnaces kick in- heightening the risk of a household fire. For many, the holiday season is also time for a Christmas tree which also pose a dangerous fire hazard to your home.
SERVPRO of Des Moines NW wants to remind you and your family the importance Christmas tree responsibility. A simple spark has the potential to turn a dry Christmas tree into flames in a matter of second. Once the tree is on fire, the flames can engulf your room in under 30 seconds.
Here are some tips to keep your wonderful time of the year emergency free:
• Keep your tree at least three feet away from any heat source like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
• Always keep plenty of water in your tree base to limit the chances of a dry out. Water it daily! Fresh, watered trees are much less likely to catch fire.
• If you buy an artificial tree, make sure it is labeled “fire resistant”.
• Do not forget to turn your Christmas tree lights off each night! Bedtime means all light out!
• Make sure that you have properly installed Fire/smoke detectors.
Just following these simple steps can help reduce the chances of a Christmas tree disaster. We wish you a safe and happy holiday season from the SERVPRO of Des Moines NW Team.