Dampness or inadequate ventilation typically results in the growth of mold or mildew on wood surfaces. Mold usually appears as black or greenish-brown patches on surfaces in humid environments. Besides causing an unsightly appearance, spores from mold fungi can cause allergies and other health concerns.
In the picture you can see the mold that formed on the wood subfloor in the spare bedroom. This was caused by a pin hole puncture in the plumbing that was hidden inside the wall and went un-noticed for days if not weeks.
Before we could start the dryout phase we had to kill, disinfect and clean the mold from the wood subfloor. The trim, some drywall, carpet, and pad had to discarded by IICRC standards so the mold (mold spores) would not spread thru out the home. In the end, we make disasters "Like it never even happened."