SERVPRO Takes Care of Your Fire Damage Odor
Recovering from a fire at your home or business is an overwhelming and traumatic experience. SERVPRO is here to guide you through the recovery process.
Do Not Attempt to Clean Fire Damage Yourself
- Structural components like walls, ceilings and floors require a professional evaluation to identify instability.
- Professionals are needed to expertly remove substantial amounts of water and extinguishing chemicals.
- Debris and residues may be extremely toxic, which requires the use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- SERVPRO technicians will customize the cleanup methods and products used to meet your specific needs. The most effective strategy will depend on the materials burned and the surfaces affected.
- Deodorization methods typically require specialized products and unique equipment.
What Causes the Odor Associated with Kitchen Fires?
When a fire occurs in a kitchen, food materials, oils and greases are usually the ignition source. The fats and proteins create an oily mist that covers the area, and the heat causes the oils and grease to melt and dehydrate. This, in turn, causes the substances to become rancid, which leaves a rotting stench that permeates appliances, cabinets, ceilings and walls. Air currents spread the odor far and wide throughout the property as well.
Why SERVPRO is the Solution
Our technicians rely on the age old “like dissolves like” rule when selecting products to counter fire residues. Residues of a kitchen fire are oil-based; our technicians look to solvents to break the bonds between the soot and the surface.
SERVPRO’S Advanced Deodorization Measures
When deep cleaning is insufficient to eliminate protein-based soot odors, SERVPRO offers additional options:
- Hydroxyl Generators. Hydroxyl radicals destroy the molecular structure of odors.
- Thermal fogging. Deodorizers are combusted into a fine mist, paring with soot particles to neutralize the odor.
- Airtight products are applied to surfaces, which keeps the odor molecules from vaporizing.
Contact SERVPRO of Des Moines NW at (515) 986- 3711 to cover all of your fire damage needs, including residue cleanup and odor removal. We will schedule an assessment at your earliest convenience.