If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (515) 986-3711

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Identifying Key Causes of Fires in Des Moines

12/11/2020 (Permalink)

Identifying the causes of fires before they happen can in some cases help your home or business avoid a catastrophic fire. A fire can occur in any home or business with the right conditions, and many of us knowingly keep flammable items. It only takes a bit of attentiveness to protect your home or business from some of the most common fire hazards.

Your friends at SERVPRO of Des Moines NW think you should consider the following key causes of fire to determine how to make your home or business a safer place.

Electricity: Keep an eye out for damaged cords or overloaded outlets and extension cords.

Smoking: Limit rooms for smoking and make sure cigarettes are always put out properly.

Dryer: This one might sound familiar, but your dryer, especially the lint, is a major fire hazard. If you allow it to build up it could back up into the exhaust and overheat. Be diligent about cleaning out your dryer’s lint trap and never have the exhaust vents covered.

Cooking: Keep stovetops clear of flammable items. Also, remember to never leave your stove or grill unattended while in use.

Antique Electronics: It’s common to hold on to sentimental and functioning electronics from decades ago, but if you have an antique lamp, fan, or some other electronic device, know that it is very possible for it to have sustained damage to its internal wiring. The only true way to mitigate this risk is to have it professionally rewired or simply keep it unplugged and use it as a decoration.

Candles: One of the more obvious of the bunch are candles. Almost everyone has a variation of candle in their home. As you can imagine, they’re a relatively common cause for household fires being that they can easily be knocked over. Some useful tips are to never burn a candle without a candle holder and make sure to keep the open flame away from flammable items like couches and curtains. Never leave candles unattended.

Space Heaters: Winter weather is here and although space heaters keep you warm and toasty, believe it or not they are a major fire hazard. Keep your space heater at least three feet away from all flammable items in the room, like furniture, bedding, and stuffed animals. Use them sparingly when possible.

Unfortunately, fires can happen. If your home or business in the Des Moines area has suffered fire damage, SERVPRO of Des Moines NW can help. Our staff is on call around the clock so we can start helping you get back to normal, fast. Call us at 515-986-3711 for assistance.

Other News

View Recent Posts